Attractions & Things to Do Around South Fork, CO
We invite you to spend your Colorado mountain vacation at Arbor House Inn Bed & Breakfast on the River, a beautiful country bed and breakfast located in South Fork, Colorado. Originally a stopping point on the stagecoach line, South Fork developed as a service and support community for the local timber and mining operations. Now it is a growing recreation center and tourist area with abundant vacation opportunities in every season.
Summertime activities include river rafting, fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, ATV and jeep tours. The South Fork area is a fly-fishing vacation paradise with 47 tributaries of the Rio Grande River close by, encompassing 500 miles of stream to fish. In addition, there are 13 beautiful lakes from which to choose. And not to be missed are the summer performances at the highly acclaimed Creede Repertory Theatre—always a big hit with both the locals and the tourists.
For ultimate convenience, guests can step off the inn’s deck and fish in the South Fork of the Rio Grande! And for the golfing fans, test your skills at South Fork’s beautiful and challenging Rio Grande Club golf course. One of the summer highlights is dinner out and an evening at the nearby Creede Repertory Theatre.
Day-trip options include the Great Sand Dunes National Park, Alamosa / Monte Vista Wildlife Refuges, Wheeler Geological Monument, various old mining towns, museums and lectures, the Indian ruins at Mesa Verde National Park, the Cumbres & Toltec or the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railways and the Pagosa Hot Springs.
Numerous events and festivals are offered throughout the year including Tucker Ponds Fishing Derby in the spring, our hometown Fourth of July Celebration (on July 3rd), Logger Days Festival and the Burris & Sons Rodeo in July, Rhythms on the Rio Music Festival in August, and the Annual Mushroom Foray in September. Please check out www.SouthFork.org for the annual calendar and upcoming events. Not to be missed are other fine festivals in neighboring towns such as Covered Wagon Days in Del Norte, Mining Days in Creede, the Annual Crane Festival and Ski Hi Stampede in Monte Vista.
Freshly fallen snow brings excitement and joy to winter activity enthusiasts. Snowmobile fans and cross-country skiers will delight in the miles and miles of groomed trails available in the area. Snowboarders and downhill skiers can experience a day of winter wonder at Wolf Creek Ski Area, known for the most snowfall in Colorado and just 20 minutes up the pass. The excellent snow at Wolf Creek Ski Area and the luxury accommodations at the Arbor House Inn is definitely a match made in winter heaven!
We at Arbor House Inn Bed & Breakfast on the River are pleased to offer our guests an exceptional B&B experience with unparalleled service and delicious breakfasts. We believe that with our luxury guestrooms and close proximity to so many exciting attractions and activities, Arbor House Inn Bed & Breakfast on the River is an ideal alternative to conventional South Fork hotel accommodations. This is South Fork lodging at its finest. We hope you will greatly enjoy all the activities and attractions the surrounding area has to offer.
Links To Area Attractions, Activities and Service Providers
- 8200 Mountain Sports – Adventure sports rentals including skis, boards, bikes, rafts, Jeeps and more.
- Almosa Wildlife Refuge – Tour the Alamosa NWR where natural river bottom wetlands and the Rio Grande River provide habitat for waterfowl, shorebirds, songbirds and raptors.
- Alpine Loop Scenic Byway – This beautiful 4-wheel-drive backcountry byway traverses 65 miles of the rugged heart of the spectacular San Juan Mountains.
- Arp’s Restaurant – Creede’s newest restaurant featuring domestic and international comfort food. 719-658-2777.
- Ashography.com – Event & Portrait Photography. Professional photographer specializing in weddings, events, family portraits and senior portraits. With over five years in the industry, and a history of shooting weddings in Vail, Breckenridge, Denver and Southern California, Ashography Event & Portrait Photography is our exclusive wedding photographer at the Arbor House Inn.
- Crane Festival – Celebration of the annual migration of the sand hill cranes stopping off at the Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge on their way from south to north.
- Colorado Vacation Directory – Extensive information on cabins, lodges, campgrounds, country bed & breakfast inns, and fun things to do in Colorado.
- Colorado Division of Water Resources (Rio Grande) – Water conditions in the Rio Grande water district.
- Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) – Valuable information on hunting, fishing, and wildlife happenings & festivals around the state of Colorado.
- Cottonwood Cove – Jeep rentals, horseback riding.
- Covered Wagon Days – Annual Del Norte celebration of the hearty people who built the West.
- Creede Underground Mining Museum – Experience the rich history of Creede’s silver-mining glory days in an underground mine and follow a self-guided car tour of old mine sites.
- Creede Repertory Theatre – Live theatrical productions from June through September in the spectacular setting of Creede, Colorado.
- Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad – See the beautiful San Juan Mountains along the Colorado-New Mexico border from an authentic narrow gauge train.
- Denver and Rio Grande Railway Historical Railway – Spectacular scenic rail excursions along the Rio Grande River departing twice daily from South Fork from late May to early October.
- Doc’s Outdoor Sports – Ski, snowboard, snowshoe and cross-country ski rentals. Fishing, camping, hunting and hiking supplies.
- Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad – Experience the adventure of traveling by a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive on the same tracks miners, cowboys and settlers of the old west took over a century ago.
- Elk Country Jeep Rentals Jeep rentals in South Fork.
- Fishing Report Get the latest updates on the fishing conditions in the South Fork area.
- geocaching.com – Choose from more than 675 caches hidden within a 100-mile radius of the South Fork and Creede areas. Bring along your GPS unit and go on a geocaching treasure hunt in the amazingly beautiful surroundings of the Colorado Rockies.
- Great Sand Dunes National Park – Visit this treasure of visual, geologic, and biological surprises – a high mountain valley holding the tallest sand dunes in North America that is flanked by some of the highest peaks in the Rocky Mountains.
- Logger Days Festival– Annual South Fork celebration of loggers and lumberjacks. Logging skills competitions and demonstrations held in July.
- Mesa Verde National Park – Experience the largest archaeological preserve in the United States featuring cliff dwellings and artifacts of the Ancestral Puebloan people.
- Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge
- Moon Valley Horseback Rides – Trail rides in the Colorado Rockies.
- Mountain Man Tours – Guided rafting and outdoor adventures on the Rio Grande Headwaters.
- Old Firehouse Restaurant –Breakfast, lunch and dinner in South Fork, Colorado.
- Pagosa Hot Springs – Relax in the naturally hot, therapeutic mineral waters of the free-form hot springs pools overlooking the San Juan River in the town of Pagosa Springs.
- Rainbow Grocery and Sporting Goods – Full-line local grocery store. Large selection fishing, camping, hunting information and supplies. True Value Hardware.
- Ramon’s Mexican Restaurant – Great Mexican food just across the road from the inn. Start with the margaritas, leave room for the flan!
- Rio Grande Anglers – Fly-fishing guide service out of South Fork and Creede.
- Rio Grande Club Golf Course – Experience golf at 8500 feet in the beauty and relaxed pace of this hidden oasis in the San Juan Mountains above the tranquil flow of the Rio Grande River.
- Rio Grande Country – Information on attractions and activities in South Fork and the surrounding area.
- Rio Grande County Museum – Check out interesting exhibits, lectures, and museum-related activities of Rio Grande County in Del Norte, Colorado.
- Rio Grande National Forest – 1.86 million acres located in southwestern Colorado, is one of the true undiscovered jewels of the entire state.
- Rio Outfitters – Specializing in guided fly-fishing trips on the San Juan and Rio Grande Rivers.
- Rocky Mountain Bike & Ski – Ski and snowboard rentals along with ice skates, sleds, snowshoes, cross-country skis. Bike and raft rentals, parts and service.
- Rhythms on the Rio – Outdoor South Fork music festival held annually in August on the banks of the Rio Grande River.
- Silverthread Outdoor Club – Get acquainted with the numerous outdoor activities available in the South Fork area in the company of knowledgeable local residents, part-timers, and visitors. Scheduled activities of ATV riding, camping, hiking, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, fishing, hunting, skiing and motorcycling.
- Silverthread Scenic Byway – A 135-mile journey on Hwy. 149 from South Fork to Gunnison via the old mining towns of Creede and Lake City showcasing the scenic beauty of pristine national forest and wilderness areas.
- Ski Hi Stampede – Colorado’s oldest pro rodeo along with parades, carnival, concert and dance.
- South Fork Anglers – Offering year-round, world-class guided float and wade fly-fishing trips in southern Colorado.
- South Fork Chamber of Commerce – Information on the local business of South Fork, Colorado.
- South Fork, Colorado – General information on the Town of South Fork and surrounding area.
- South Fork Music Association/Rhythms on the Rio – Staging live music concerts to benefit music education for San Luis Valley students. Events include the Summer Sunday Concert Series at the South Fork Visitor Center and Rhythms on the Rio music festival held annually in August on the banks of the Rio Grande River.
- Three Barrels Brewery – Enjoy artisanal crafted beer and delicious wood-fired pizza made from fresh, locally grown ingredients.
- Twin Pines Motor Sports – Jeep, ATV, UTV, snowmobile parts and service. Professionally maintained rental fleet.
- Two Rivers Barbeque – Specializing in slow-smoked barbeque, create-your-own burgers and local brews from Three Barrels Brewery.
- Wheeler Geological Monument – Incredibly picturesque example of geological pinnacles and spires in the La Garita Wilderness. Quite a trip to get there, but so worth it!
- Wildwood Sounds – Celebrating fifteen years of high-quality concert entertainment in a cozy, intimate setting in Del Norte, Colorado.
- Windsor Hotel Restaurant – Upscale dining in the newly renovated historic Windsor Hotel and restaurant in Del Norte. Excellent choice for a celebration dinner of any kind. Their “Sunday Suppers” are excellent.
- Wolf Creek Anglers – Southern Colorado’s premier fly fishing shop and guide service.
- Wolf Creek Jeep – Daily and weekly top-of-the-line Jeep rentals.
- Wolf Creek Mountain Folk – Choose from a variety of mountain adventures including guided horseback rides, guided nature walks, carriage rides, sleigh rides, or campfire dinners.
- Wolf Creek Snowmobile Tours – Offering the newest snowmobile fleet in Southern Colorado for the best and most exciting riding in the Wolf Creek Ski Area. Adventure (beginner) and Advanced (experienced) Tours available.
- Wolf Creek Ski Area – Enjoy a fantastic day of skiing at one of Colorado’s oldest and finest alpine ski resorts whose trademark is “the most snow in Colorado!” 18 miles from South Fork.
Links to Area Videos